Women will not be confined! Whether for work or fun, we will own the streets. This Women’s Web photo contest for International Women’s Day is all about the outdoors.
Women are out at work on the streets, going to work, often working on the street as hawkers, hanging out with friends, going to the park, just….being…ourselves.
Beyond The Doors is a photography contest that is all about capturing the life of women in India outside the home.
We are looking for your most interesting photos of women outside the home – in a park, bus, street, or any other place outdoors.
These could be your friends eating golgappas, women selling stuff on the street, travellers at a railway station, runners on the road, commuters on the metro, hikers on a trail, or any other women outdoors. All we ask is that it feature women, and in an outdoor setting.
Let’s create a wonderful online exhibit of women engaging with the world around them!
How to participate
Email us your pic at email@example.com in jpeg/PNG format. Mention ‘Beyond The Doors’ in your subject line. Make sure to mention your full name, and a line about where the image was taken.
This contest is open through all of March!
Last date for entries: 10 PM IST, March 31st, 2017
- Participation is open to anyone above the age of 16, irrespective of gender or location.
- No limits on the number of entries per participant
- Photographs can be in colour or B&W, and must not have undergone significant digital manipulation (beyond basic colour/sharpness adjustment)
- Photos must be submitted as .jpeg or .PNG files
- All photos submitted for this contest will be available for public display on our site and/or FB page, and we may also publish a few short-listed entries on our website, www.womensweb.in
- By participating in this contest, you certify that the submitted photograph belongs to you, and does not violate any other party’s copyright
- Your photo entry must have at least verbal consent from the person photographed
Our judges for Beyond The Doors 2017 are:
Dr. Shilpa Phalke: Shilpa is an Assistant Professor at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, and Chairperson for the Centre for the Study of Contemporary Culture, School of Media and Cultural Studies. She co-authored the inspiring book, Why Loiter?, which encourages women to treat public spaces as their due and own the roads.
Prasad NP: Prasad has decades of experience in start-ups as well as well-established global companies where he headed India Operations. As the itch to click got stronger he decided to switch to photography and writing. Prasad refuses to be labeled and clicks people, wildlife and travel pictures with equal passion. He celebrates wanderlust on his travel blog desiTraveler and besides mentoring startups on strategy, he serves as Chief Evangelist for Darter Photography.
Darter Photography offers a unique outdoor photography experience to exciting destinations across India.
Darter mentors and aids photography-enthusiasts at all levels through their photography workshops and photography-centric tours. Their programs cater to a wide range of photography-enthusiasts, be it someone who has just bought a camera and is toying with it or an experienced person looking for guidance for photography on new subjects and at new locations.
F5 Escapes is an experiential travel company with the vision to redefine women travel in India. They offer fixed departure group tours, personalized tour planning & travel assistance to women & families.
So, whether you want to travel by yourself or with friends or just plan a family reunion, they can help you with all of that!
One 1st prize
A Rs.10000 voucher redeemable against a group tour, for 5 days or longer, from F5 Escapes. (Cannot be used against day trips and in-city events.)
One 2nd prize
- The workshop is held in Bangalore.
- If the winner doesn’t want to avail the workshop, he/she may enrol for any of Darter photography tours (across India) and get a discount of Rs.6,000. Detailed list of the activities can be found at www.darter.in.
- The winner must claim the prize within a year of announcement by contacting the Darter team.
Two 3rd prizes
A backpack which is durable and convenient to take on your travels.
Two winners will receive a foldable, waterproof rucksack, worth Rs.1800 each. This lightweight rucksack converts into a small pouch when you want!
Five participation prizes
A copy of Why Loiter.
Five winners receive a copy of Why Loiter?
, a book we love and will encourage you to go outdoors even more!
None of the prizes can be exchanged for cash.
Women’s Web’s decision on prizes is final, and we also reserve the right to reject entries that do not meet contest guidelines or violate the spirit of the contest in any form.