What If The Manager Had Been A Man?

The woman smiled and answered my unasked question "She is my daughter. Her nanny left me a few days back without notice. I couldn't find another one.

Today I visited the bank for some paperwork. There was a queue of 5-6 people at the single window counter where a clerk, a woman in her 30s sat working busily. Behind her was a girl of 5-6, colouring in her book with crayons.

The girl would interrupt the woman once in a while like any curious preschooler, and the woman was handling both the questions of the child and the customers cheerfully, even as she carried on with her work. I just asked my daughter to say hi to the child.

The woman smiled and answered my unasked question “She is my daughter. Her nanny left me a few days back without notice. I couldn’t find another one. I took leave for a couple of days and then decided to get her here with me for a few hours after her school”

I smiled and said “More power to you” as she smiled back.

As I was led to the manager’s room, I saw another graceful lady seated there. I couldn’t help but wonder, had the manager been a man, would he have let his staff’s child play in the bank for a few hours everyday while she did her work? He might or might not, but this is all that women need- a support system either at work or at home.

The the percentage of women in work force in India, stands at a dismal 19%. And statistics show that most women drop out of work just because there is no support system for childcare. Of the rest 81%, most would happily come back to work if their workplace offers childcare facilities. And I would like to believe this is more likely to happen only when there are more women in decision-making positions. But herein lies the whole problem – how will women reach policy-making positions at work if they have no support systems in place?

Editor’s Note: We will be publishing some of your stories as #WomenAtWorkTrueStories, so go ahead and share these with us on your author dashboard with this hashtag in the title.

Image source: shylendrahoode from Getty Images Signature Free for Canva Pro

Never miss real stories from India's women.

Register Now

Liked this post?

Join the 100000 women at Women's Web who get our weekly mailer and never miss out on our events, contests & best reads - you can also start sharing your own ideas and experiences with thousands of other women here!

Comments

About the Author

Soumya Bharathi

Writer| Poet| Self-published author| Oral Surgeon| A woman who believes that subtlety is strength, feminine is formidable, beauty is in benevolence and vulnerability is validation of strength of character. For more read www.soumyabharathi. read more...

14 Posts | 49,279 Views

Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!

All Categories