Check out 16 Return-To-Work Programs In India For Ambitious Women Like You!
If the time of your monthly period is painful, here are 7 simple ways for a comfortable period. Try them, they actually work.
In the initial few years after my first period, I felt very uncomfortable on the days I was menstruating. I had painful cramps almost always. I faced intense mood swings and hated being around people. My appetite went for a toss and I ate very little.
But over time, I began to pay attention to my body. I consciously made note of all the myriad emotions I felt. I observed patterns in my dietary habits. I tracked my flow. Soon, I stopped resenting my periods. I became quite an expert (no kidding!). I could almost predict the onset of my period. If I sensed an emotional turmoil, I knew I would start bleeding in the next 2 days. If my back began aching and my stomach felt queasy, I knew I would start bleeding in the next 2 hours!
Learning from by body signs enabled me to prepare myself for a comfortable period every month. Being well-prepared helped me be calm through each period. I thought I would share some simple tips on how you could make yourself comfortable during your period:
1) If you haven’t paid close attention to read into the signs of your body like I did, don’t worry. With technology, nothing is impossible. Download any period tracker app. You simply need to feed in one data point – the start date of your period. There are a number of different apps offering various features to track your mood, your average cycle, your period duration, date of ovulation etc. And to my surprise, predictions are very high on accuracy. So the app will give you a fair idea of when to expect your period.
2) Panty liners have a number of uses such as for absorption of daily vaginal discharge, post-intercourse discharge and urinary incontinence. I primarily use them to catch spotting from the first few drops of blood every month. You can begin to place it about 2-3 days before the onset of you period. It keeps you dry and comfortable, especially if you are someone who hates to feel damp. This comes in very handy in case you are on a long flight, in a meeting, leading a presentation or at a tourist spot in the middle of nowhere with no toilet in the vicinity.
3) Using disposable panties during periods not only saves a lot of time and effort, but also improves hygiene. You can pick them up at any beauty store. Many grocery stores and supermarkets also stock them.
4) Make it a habit to stock up on pads of different sizes and thickness. You never know when you will get a chance to visit a bathroom next when you are out either on business or leisure. Moreover, you can’t predict the intensity of the flow especially if you are going to be indulging in physically demanding activities such as trekking. Pick an appropriate choice smartly from the available samples, depending on your location, proximity to bathroom, flow etc.
5) It helps to carry an electronic hot water bag in your handbag/backpack on the days of your period. It comes in various sizes, designs and colours. It allows you to adjust intensity of heat based on your needs All you need to do is plug it in and place it across your abdomen. You can tuck it under your clothes while sitting on your office chair. No one will notice under the desk! It can relieve your pain quickly and boost your productivity in no time.
6) I like to carry some edibles such as dry fruits, biscuits or toffees in my daily bag. Munching on these could bring you back to your spirits and offer the energy necessary to get through the rest of the day. Try it, especially if your taste buds dislike regular foods such as rice/roti on your period days.
7) I can’t stress this enough – carry some feel-good essentials. It could be a tiny bottle of perfume that you can dab on your neck. The invigorating smell will make you feel refreshed. Or try applying some lipstick or lip balm. Putting it on will make you smile and feel beautiful.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution. While not all of it may help everyone, a few simple steps can go a long way. By trying and experimenting, you will be able to figure out what works best for you.
So, the next time you feel any sort of discomfort, try some of these. And kiss goodbye to all your period-related anxiety!
Cover image via Shutterstock
Having discovered my passion for the written word, writing became my constant love affair. I write about women, lifestyle, business and economics. I tend to philosophize a tad too much and erupt in passionate debate read more...
Women's Web is an open platform that publishes a diversity of views, individual posts do not necessarily represent the platform's views and opinions at all times.
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!
"There is a story and a vision which makes us gravitate towards cinema. Even as we worked as assistants on ads, we realised that cinema was our true calling," say Gunpreet Kaur Mann and Deepali Singh Raseen.
The Railway Men. Mili. Cuttputli. The Diplomat. Bade Miyan Chote Miyan. And more…
Let me introduce to you the talented designer duo who have worked on these, and can be considered today’s upcoming costume designers for the screen. Gunpreet Kaur Mann and Deepali Singh.
Having studied at NIFT, Gunpreet Kaur Mann sent her portfolio out to several designers. Her first gig was as an assistant stylist with Manoshi and Rushi, who also happen to be a designer duo. She worked on an ad film starring Saif Ali Khan and eventually landed a full time job with designer Vikram Phadnis. Years of experience as assistant costume designer followed, which eventually led her to getting a break.
A ‘thank you’ makes a lot of difference in the way any woman in your life sees herself in your eyes. It might even mean the world to her.
I have not received any appreciation in the past. Probably never will. This is the experience of ample women across the globe. The expectation to be thanked for all the sacrifices she makes to keep others happy has faded. Yet the urge to hear few words of acknowledgement always lingers.
There is never a day when she pushes off her own burdens. She knows not to give up on people she loves. Women in general, are givers by nature and hence, give without asking anything in return. They have been the care givers and lovers since centuries however receive no appreciation.
It will mean the world to your mother if you answer her calls. If your sister seems lost give her a hug and assure her about her strengths. Tomorrow, there might come a day when you would have to make your daughter feel empowered with few words of wisdom every now and then. For the children to feel wanted and loved, you must be able to spare some quality time with your wife and be present in the moment.
Please enter your email address