“Eclectic, interesting…will fill you with hope and resolve!” – Pick up our new short story collection, Women.Mutiny
The Women’s Web, ‘Travel The World With Kids’ series is a series of interviews with mothers from all over the globe who are interested in exploring their backyard attractions with their tiny tots! We hope you find them useful, if someday you choose to visit their part of the world. Presented in Q&A format, this one is with Leonny from Singapore, who blogs about her adventures at Our Everyday Things.
Singapore is among the most popular destinations in South East Asia, and while it’s known for high-fashion shopping and a mania for orderliness, there is plenty of fun things to do when travelling with kids too.
Tell us a little about yourself. Who is Leonny?
I’m Leonny, a Mom of three – Anya (7.5 y.o), Vai (5 y.o) and Brie (5 months). Other than being a fulltime mother for my three little ones here in Singapore, I’m also passionate about photography and blogging, as a way to reach out to the world and share how beautiful life with children can be.
What are some of your suggestions for parents with young kids to do in Singapore?
People tend to associate Singapore with ‘shopping’ and ‘eating’, but if they’re looking for places to visit with their children while in Singapore, here are some recommended places:
– The Singapore Zoo
– Sentosa Island
– Our family loves to visit Palawan Beach and have some waterplay fun!
– Jurong Birdpark
– Marina Barrage
Tourists generally like to check out the Universal Studios Singapore when they’re here, and I would personally recommend it to families whose children are at least 4 years old, so that they can enjoy most of the rides together as a family.
What have been some of your favourite outings in Singapore with your kids?
During the weekends, we’d almost always be out and about as a family. We don’t have one particular favourite, but we do love the outdoors. So on top of the ones that we shared earlier, we also like these two places: East Coast Park and West Coast Park.
For tourists visiting Singapore for the first time, do you have any particular tips on things that they need to watch out for?
I wrote a post on 8 things I love about living in Singapore sometime back, and tourists to Singapore can first read this post to get a feel of how living in Singapore is like.
And here are a few other tips:
– Tipping is not common here in Singapore.
– Water from the tap is drinkable.
– Towards the end of the year, you’ll see more rain here in Singapore. Bringing along an umbrella when you’re out and about is always a great idea!
– Bring along some tissue paper (or wet wipes) as they are usually not provided by the eating places (if they provide wet towels, they’re usually charged to the bill)
– Most shopping centres do have a nursery area.
– If you’re looking to shop for electronic goods and gadgets, you may want to check out Sim Lim Square. Prices may be negotiated a little (usually no more than 5% of its stated price)
– You can claim your 7% tax back at Changi airport, prior to leaving Singapore
– If you’re visiting Orchard Road area (Singapore’s main shopping area) and are planning to take a taxi back to the hotel, do be prepared to queue up for a while.
– Singapore has a relatively low crime rate, however it is always recommended to keep an eye on your pockets or bags when you’re visiting crowded tourist areas like Orchard road.
Are there any particular restaurants in Singapore that you think kids will enjoy?
Marche Restaurant at [email protected] is children friendly. It has a dedicated play area for young children. They will love it! IKEA stores, there are two in Singapore (one on Alexandra Road, and the other in Tampines) also are very children friendly.
Are there any particular shopping areas in Singapore that you think kids will enjoy?
I’d say VivoCity is a relatively kid-friendly shopping mall. It has an outdoor play area on the 2nd floor and some waterplay area too on the 3rd floor (its rooftop).
Thank you, Leonny for sharing your city with our readers, and all those useful tips on enjoying Singapore with kids!
*Photo credit: Leonny
Women's Web is a vibrant community for Indian women, an authentic space for us
Travel The World With Kids: Zurich
Travel The World With Kids: Hyderabad
Travel The World With Kids: Delhi
Travel The World With Kids: Toronto
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!