Join us on an FB Live chat today at 2.30 PM to learn more about a unique return to work program to up skill women on a career break!
This month’s brand new 15-minute episode of the Modern Family podcast features Maith Iyengar, a working mother of two.
According to the World Economic Forum, women in India are still severely under-represented in the labour force. And it doesn’t help that a new generation of well-educated young women from a rising middle class are apparently less inclined to work.
In this episode of Spotlight, I talk to Maith, a telecom engineer settled in the United States, about her arranged marriage and how she and her husband have made it work for nearly two decades. We discussed –
– The outright discrimination faced by working women a generation ago
– The effect of these experiences on the women who continued to work
– Family vs. work – is it easier to live abroad?
– The recent trend of couples across the diaspora inviting parents-in-law to live with them
– The effect of this on children
– Pros and cons
– Why communication is key
– The importance of marrying a man who respects you
– Finding time for each other
– Surface modernity and sexism that refuses to die out
Click to play or download to listen at your leisure!
Women's Web is a vibrant community for Indian women, an authentic space for us
Modern Family: With Orange Jammies
Modern Family: With Tanzila
The Indian Woman’s Dilemma: Love Vs Arranged Marriage
Ending Silences On Patriarchy And Women In India
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!