Have you commenced the second phase of your career after a career break? Share your story & get featured at Women in Corporate Allies 2022.
If the Titanic had been made in India, would Rose have been the good Indian girl? Let's see!
I was recently watching Titanic on television and quite enjoyed the movie – despite it being very obvious in some ways, I was surprised that 15 years after its making, it doesn’t feel dated. Then I got to thinking what Titanic would look like if it was ever made in India, and here is what I came up with.
Presenting – Bollywood ka Titanic 🙂
1. Jack sees Rose, the snobbish upper class girl and decided to ‘teach her a lesson’ by humiliating her or stalking her, with the help of encouraging friends. Of course Rose falls in love with him.
2. Rose then proceeds to give up her pretty dresses and puts on a salwar kameez with dupatta. Because no woman who has found love could possibly want to wear Western clothes.
3. Although Rose falls in love with Jack, like a good Indian girl, she then decides to stay with the man she had been promised to – because she suddenly remembers that it was her dad’s dying wish that she marry Cal. Of course he didn’t ask her, would a good Indian dad do that?
4. Rose would then proceed to spend a good part of the movie crying about her lost love , watching him from behind pillars and resigning herself to her fate as a soon to be married woman. Her mother sympathizes with her but doesn’t dream of going against the wishes of the head of the family.
5. Or, Rose gives in to her passion for Jack, spends a night with him, and finds out the next day that she is pregnant. Because, all sex before marriage is rewarded (sorry, punished) with pregnancy, didn’t you know that?
6. In this scenario, the day after the sinking of the ship, after Rose has been rescued, we would see her emerge on board the Carpathia wearing a white sari.
7. Naturally, there is no question of this Rose now marrying another man, because the virtuous Indian woman doesn’t do that.
8. Rose doesn’t travel the world or have a job or do anything for herself. Her life is spent moping in front of a photo of Jack.
9. She devotes her time to raising her son (who looks exactly like Jack), and training him to one day take revenge on her behalf against Cal – who could have saved Jack, but didn’t.
10. Jack Junior falls in love with Cal’s daughter, who happens to be a rich, snobbish girl who needs taming….and the story begins all over again!
Founder & Chief Editor of Women's Web, Aparna believes in the power of ideas and conversations to create change. She has been writing since she was ten. In another life, she used to be read more...
Women's Web is an open platform that publishes a diversity of views, individual posts do not necessarily represent the platform's views and opinions at all times.
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!
She would serve everyone fresh food and serve herself the stale rice and curries from the previous meal. Some days after finishing the leftovers she was so full she would not even be able to even taste the fresh food.
When I married the first time, my MIL told me that during the Navratri the lady of the house should not eat stale food. ‘Gharatlya bai ni shila khau naye’ — in refined upper caste Marathi.
I was just 26, eager to please, not versed in patriarchy or feminism, and it seemed like a positive thing — respect for the goddess in woman.
But soon I realised she spent the remaining 356 days of her year finishing leftovers. And that I was expected to do the same.
In an unequal world with fewer women in the workforce, and facing gender pay gaps everywhere, negotiating salary can be an essential skill.
The thought of negotiating salary can be daunting, especially for women. Here are the six steps to achieve favourable outcomes from salary negotiations.
*Names changed on request to protect privacy.
I stared at the offer letter. The company had offered me a 20% increase over my current compensation – the lower end of the range I had conveyed after two gruelling interview rounds. There was a further devil in the details; they had included gratuity in the compensation offered, whereas I had not considered this component in my take-home calculations.