A story of love, loss and second chances by Nikita Singh, releasing this Valentine’s Day.
We are Breaking Barriers once again, are you? Join us with leading change makers.
Is celebrity baby culture here to stay in India? Do celebrities like Lara Dutta and Aamir Khan have some lessons for us? Listen to the first Women’s Web podcast!
By Amrita Rajan
Everything the Bachchans do makes the news – even if it’s just being born. This is the lesson we learned from the arrival of “Beti B”, the daughter of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan. It was such a hotly anticipated event, even in these troubled times, that the I&B Ministry actually sent out guidelines for news crews to follow.
In the first episode of the Spotlight podcast, Sunayana Roy of the blog Sunny Days joins me to discuss:
– Has celebrity baby culture officially arrived in India?
– Is the Bachchan family’s obvious joy at welcoming a granddaughter a positive sign for society at large?
– Can celebrities really influence other people’s child raising choices?
– Lara Dutta and maternity wear against the backdrop of Indian pregnancy superstitions
– The phenomenon of “too posh to push” – a convenient cover for doctors who like to push costly C-sections on their patients?
– The generational gap: will we turn into our mothers?
– Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao’s surrogacy boosting morale
Celeb Baby Culture: Here to stay? by Women’s Web
For all this and more, click on the podcast above to play!
If there is a topic you’d like to see covered on this show or have other suggestions for us, we’d love to hear from you in the comment section.
Pic credit: Boris
Amrita Rajan is a writer. She's interested in what you have to say.
What was the interviewer trying to say when she said “Is it because he’s (Amitabh Bachchan) the brand ambassador for Gujarat?”.
If you implied that being superstitious is somehow related to being a Gujarati, well I just want to say I would be disappointed with the interviewer due to her total lack of brains.
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!
Sign in/Register & Get personalised recommendations