Donate to the Kerala Relief Operations as lakhs of people are being displaced due to the massive floods.
Join ambitious women at 5 cities, Pune, Panjim, Hyderabad, Coimbatore & Kolkata at #BreakingBarriers!
In The Women’s Web ‘Travel The World With Kids’ series, we talk to mums from all over the globe who are interested in exploring their backyard attractions with their tiny tots! We hope you find them useful, if someday you choose to visit their part of the world. Presented in Q&A format, this one is with Subha from Zurich, who blogs about her adventures at Boo’s Baby Talk.
Ah Switzerland! A favourite among Indian cinema makers as well as romantic honeymooners, the very mention strikes up images of cozy cabins tucked into snow clad mountains! Is the largest city of Switzerland, Zurich kid-friendly? Over to Subha!
Hello Subha! Could you tell us a little about yourself?
I live with my husband and two daughters (aged 6 and 3) in Zurich, Switzerland. We moved to Zurich from Bangalore 5 years ago. Although it was tough initially to settle down here due to the language issues, we started loving it here. Who wouldn’t fall in love with this gorgeous place with its snow peaked mountains, crystal clear lakes, cheese and chocolates? But the most endearing thing about Zurich is how there is so much to do here with kids!
That’s nice! What are some of your suggestions for parents visiting with young kids to do in Zurich?
Zurich is mostly used as a stopover by tourists before running off to the touristy Interlaken area. But I would suggest parents to stay here at least a couple of days and explore.
There are two fantastic Zoos; The Zurich Zoo and the Rapperswil Zoo. The latter is a petting zoo which young kids will like. The Zurich Zoo has a penguin parade during winters.
One can picnic in the Zurichhorn or Park Im Gruene with breathtaking lake views. Both have good play areas and restaurants.
The Landesmuseum, Zurich Toy Museum and Zoological Museum are good options on a rainy day!
What have been some of your favourite outings in Zurich with your kids?
We have an annual pass for the Zurich Zoo so that should tell you something! The kids love it.
Jucker Farm in Seegraben is a hit with kids too. It has something to offer throughout the year like cherry picking, strawberry picking, etc. And from August to October, they have pumpkin patches, prize winning pumpkins on displays and markets and the kids enjoy it very much.
If the sun is shining, then you can find us in one of the many, many parks.
For tourists visiting Zurich for the first time, do you have any particular tips?
1. Learn a few words in Swiss German and use them in restaurants and shops. The locals greatly appreciate it.
2. Please throw water bottles in the recycle bin marked Pet. You will mostly find them near the trash cans.
3. The transport system truly works like clockwork. Make sure you are well ahead of time wherever you go.
4. Most restaurants are child-friendly and have high chairs for toddlers and a children’s menu and have at least one vegetarian dish.
5. Dress up in layers. While it may be warm in one place, it can get suddenly chilly in another.
Are there any particular restaurants in Zurich that you think kids will enjoy?
1. Hiltl is a speciality vegetarian restaurant. The menu is Indian influenced and of the best quality. It can be a little pricey though. The buffet brunch on Sundays is highly recommended. Kids can enjoy window coloring while parents eat peacefully!
2. Walk into any pizzeria in Zurich and I’m sure you will like it.
3. There is always Mc Donalds, of course. Their veggie burger is delicious. Keep in mind that France, Germany or Italy don’t serve veggie burgers in their Mc Donalds! Only in Swiss!
4. Try Swiss Chuchi restaurant for fondues. Rosti (crispy potatoes) with cheese will be greatly enjoyed by the kids.
Are there any particular shopping areas in Zurich that you think kids will enjoy?
1. Franz Carl Weber is a toy shop in the famous Bahnhofstrasse. Pop in to see if you can afford anything while the kids enjoy the dragon slide which takes them from the ground floor to the basement!
2. Sihl City is a mall with various shops, cinemas, restaurants, etc. It is spacious and there is an outdoor courtyard where the kids can run around!
Any kid-friendly day trips out from Zurich?
The Swiss are so outdoorsy irrespective of the weather. As they say – “There is no such thing as bad weather, just incorrect clothing”! Inspiring, right? Taste a sample of the classic outdoors by going on child friendly hikes like Tierliweg in Elm or Klangweg in Alt St. Johann. I strongly recommend the Rope Park in Atzmannig for older kids.
The Transport museum in Lucerne has lots to offer kids too. Or if your kids like theme parks and thrill rides, Connyland is an option.
Switzerland is safe and fun for kids and will truly be a memorable experience for the whole family!
Truly tempting Subha! We’ll be sure to add Zurich to our “must-see” lists!
Previous Interviews In The ‘Travel With Kids’ Series:
Shalini from Norway
Nora from Morocco
Toni from Manila
Uma from Chennai
The Mad Momma from Delhi
Maid In Malaysia from Kuala Lumpur
Lakshmi from Hyderabad
Sunayana from Kolkata
Sunita from Pune
Anuradha from Mumbai
Artnavy from Bengaluru
Leonny from Singapore
Women's Web is a vibrant community for Indian women, an authentic space for us
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!
Sign in/Register & Get personalised recommendations