Happy Independence Day! Watch our brand new video: What do women DEMAND on August 15th?
Join ambitious women at 5 cities, Pune, Panjim, Hyderabad, Coimbatore & Kolkata at #BreakingBarriers!
Sunita Narain is a committed environmentalist who has long been working for the betterment of the environment and ecology in India.
Sunita Narain is the Director of the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) since 1982. Her 1985 report on the state of India’s environment (co-authored with Anil Agarwal, the Founder of CSE) was among the early pieces of work that led to a broader understanding of the various factors causing environmental degradation in India; until then, environment and ecology were treated as subjects for specialists, with little awareness among ordinary citizens.
Today, she continues this endeavour in her capacity as publisher of the Down To Earth magazine, a rare voice bringing ecology to lay people in an easily understandable and scientific manner.
Sunita Narain was awarded the Padmashri in 2005. Her work in the environmental sphere has spanned issues as diverse as tiger protection and the health impact of colas.
Why we find her inspiring:
– She has never shied away from taking on hazards to public and environmental health, regardless of the clout of those being investigated
– For justifying her stances with rigorous proof, and taking environment beyond being an emotive issue
– For bringing us a great read in the form of Down To Earth!
– A video where Sunita Narain talks about her journey as an environmentalist and scientist.
– On the responsibility of rich countries to reduce consumption.
*Photo courtesy: UNESCO.
Women's Web is a vibrant community for Indian women, an authentic space for us
Inspiring Woman Of The Day
Stay updated with our Weekly Newsletter or Daily Summary - or both!
Sign in/Register & Get personalised recommendations