Kheer is a simple sweet dish that is made in its various avatars all over India, and can be the perfect quick sweet for any festival, or when guests come.
Festivals are incomplete without sweets. My brother loves kheer, which is one of the delicious sweet dishes. You can make it on any festival. So let’s make some kheer today.
A quick kheer recipe
Ingredients for Kheer
- White Basmati Rice – 100 grams
- Full Cream Milk – 1 Kg
- Sugar – 125 grams
- Green Small Cardamom – 1
- Almonds – 4-5 Chopped
- Pistachio – 4-5 Chopped
- Cashew Nuts – 4-5 Chopped
How to make kheer
- Wash rice and put it in a cooker. Add 400 grams water in it and soak for 30 minutes.
- Now cook it for one whistle and stand till the steam is released.
- Check the rice. It should be properly cooked.
- Now add milk slowly, stirring the rice continuously.
- There should be no lumps in it.
- Now put on the gas and bring to boil. Stir continuously.
- Put the flame on medium and let it boil, stirring every 5-10 mins.
- When it becomes thick enough, add sugar and mix well.
- After 2 minutes put off the flame and add green cardamom powder and half the almonds, cashews, and pistachios.
- It is ready if you want to serve it hot.
- You can also serve it chilled.
- Put the kheer in a big bowl and let it set at room temperature. Now put it in the fridge.
- After 2-3 hours garnish it with rest of the dry fruits and serve.
Points to remember
- Before adding milk, the rice must be well cooked.
- Add cardamom powder after putting off the flame, otherwise its fragrance will go away.
- While boiling, don’t cover the pot with lid.
- Don’t forget to stir every 5-10 minutes while boiling.
Let us know how it turned out!
Image source: By Ravi Talwar (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons, for representational purposes only